September 13, 2012

Mass Innovation Nights #42


























Last night I attended Mass Innovation Nights, my first start-up event in the US. The room was full with start-ups presenting or talking about their work at their stands. What I really liked was the simplicity of everything... it was just very informal. It started with some announcements, mostly companies looking for developers, and then straight to the presentations.

My top3 picks for the night:

Leaf.me: A point-of-sale tool that enables businesses to manage their stores from the cloud through a single platform that provides traditional POS features, Customer Relationship Management (CRM), and social loyalty all in real time at the point of sale. They have some hefty competition, with Groupon (Breadcrumb) and Square.

Cubby: An online storage solution with a twist. It has a peer to peer aspect and collaboration capabilities. You can sync two computers without having to save your files in the cloud, and collaborate with colleagues. I got an invite, but so far I haven't had a chance to check it out.

Timbre: My favorite start-up of the night! Not just because I thought its a cool app (it is cool), but because of the presentation made by their founder. Well prepared, good delivery, great visuals... impressive! A location-based app that finds bands playing at local venues near by, connects to iTunes to play clips of their songs and allows you to buy tickets from concert websites, right from the app.

Next week I'll be going to Crowdfunding Innovation.

2 comments:

Hareford Earlington said...

I looked into these storages that you suggested. They are not too shabby. Works quite well, but as it is, it all depends on whether the user finds it suitable or not.

Dave Thomas said...

It's always great to see the startups coming together in a setting like this one. This particular batch you have seems like one with a lot of potential too. My interest has been piqued by in leaf.me, in particular; they seem like a great group to work with.