February 14, 2012

What Dead Poets can teach Entrepreneurs













Recently, I was reading the real story about Apple's "Think Different" campaign (in my opinion the best ad of our time), only to find out that the movie "Dead Poet Society" served as inspiration for the ad's text.

I decided to see the movie again, to remember a few things...

Trust your instincts
"Now we all have a great need for acceptance, but you must trust that your beliefs are unique, your own, even though others may think them odd or unpopular."

Don't conform
"Now I want you to rip out that page. Go on, rip out the entire page. You heard me, rip it out. Rip it out! Thank you Mr. Dalton. Gentlemen, tell you what, don't just tear out that page, tear out the entire introduction. I want it gone, history. Leave nothing of it. Rip it out. Rip! Begone J. Evans Pritchard, Ph.D. Rip, shred, tear. Rip it out. I want to hear nothing but ripping of Mr. Pritchard. It's not the bible, you're not going to go to hell for this. Go on, make a clean tear, I want nothing left of it."

Find your poem 
"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for."

Think different 
"I stand upon my desk to remind myself that we must constantly look at things in a different way. Just when you think you know something, you have to look at it in another way."

Calculate your risks 
"There is a time for daring and a time for caution, and a wise man knows which is called for."

Go for it 
"Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary."

No comments: